Resources for Citizenship
As of 2015, Baltimore City has been home to an estimated 9,000 lawful permanent residents who may be eligible to become citizens. While permanent residents have most of the rights of US citizens, there are additional important reasons to also consider becoming a citizen. Listed below are a few of the many benefits a person receives when he or she becomes a U.S. citizen:
- Ability to vote
- Serve on a jury
- Travel with a US passport which allows you to get assistance from the US government while overseas, if necessary
- Get priority when petitioning to bring family members permanently to the US
- Obtain citizenship for children under 18 years of age
- Apply for federal jobs
- Become an elected official
- Become eligible for federal grants and scholarships
- Obtain government benefits
For information regarding citizenship services such as application assistance, interview or exam preparation, and more in the City of Baltimore, please see the following brochures in the languages listed below:
- Are you ready to become a US citizen?
- Estás listo para hacerte cuidadano?
- MIMA Citizenship Brochure English.pdf
- Estas listo para hacerte cuidadano?
- Arabic Are you ready to become a US citizen?
- Burmese Are you ready to become a US citizen?
- Chinese Are you ready to become a US Citizen?
- French Are you ready to become a U.S. citizen?
- Nepalese Are you ready to become a US citizen?
- Korean Are you ready to become a US citizen?