Director, Department of Planning
As Director of the Baltimore City Department of Planning, Tom leads the agency entrusted with oversight of the City’s physical development. Tom has served in this role since 2009. Unique within City government, the Department of Planning staffs three Mayoral-appointed commissions:
- Planning Commission
- Commission on Historical and Architectural Preservation
- Sustainability Commission
Planning’s accomplishments under Tom’s leadership include:
- Introduction and adoption of Transform Baltimore legislation, the first comprehensive re-write of the City’s zoning code in over 40 years;
- Attainment of a 5-Star rating from STAR Communities, one of only 3 cities in the nation to achieve this level of distinction for sustainability;
- Creation of the INSPIRE neighborhood planning process around 21st Century School construction sites. INSPIRE stands for Investing in Neighborhoods and Schools to Promote Investment, Revitalization and Excellence;
- Creation of the Growing Green Initiative and launch of the citywide Green Network Plan, to replace vacant and blighted properties with a range of functional green spaces in challenged neighborhoods;
- Creation of a full-time Food Policy Director position within the department, dedicated to improving food access in Baltimore;
- Development and adoption of several significant master plans, including the City’s first Sustainability Plan, the Climate Action Plan, the Disaster Preparedness and Planning Project, the South Baltimore Gateway Master Plan, and several neighborhood master plans.
Tom established his planning career in Baltimore in 1987 at the Baltimore City Planning Department, where he initially worked for nearly 18 years in a variety of roles. In 2005, Tom was hired as Senior Facilities Planner for Baltimore City Public Schools, where he led the Facility Solutions planning process. In March of 2007, Tom joined the Mayor’s Office as Assistant Deputy Mayor for Neighborhood and Economic Development.
Tom holds a Master of Regional Planning degree from Cornell University and Bachelor of Arts from Boston College.
“As Planning Director, I am excited to be part of Mayor Pugh’s team, working in collaboration with partners to solve problems and help the City reach its full potential.”