Mayor Rawlings-Blake Celebrates Baltimore’s Top Neighborhood Moms
Wednesday May 9th, 2012
Better Schools. Safer Streets. Stronger Neighborhoods.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The sixth annual luncheon recognizes outstanding women in communities across Baltimore.
Today, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake hosted the sixth annual Baltimore’s Top Neighborhood Moms luncheon at the Vollmer Center at the Cylburn Arboretum. In its sixth year, the Top Neighborhood Moms contest honors strong and dedicated Baltimore women for their efforts to make their neighborhood and community better, safer, and stronger.
“As we work to grow Baltimore by 10,000 families in the next 10 years, we need to inspire residents to dedicate their lives to making their communities better every day,” said Mayor Rawlings-Blake. “The women we honor today are a source of inspiration for us all. Wanting the best for their families, they confront every challenge and work for real progress in their neighborhoods.”
To be nominated, the person does not need to be a mother—rather, someone who has given motherly love through her work for her community. This year, nearly 60 women were nominated by their neighborhood associations for their efforts.
Amelia, co-host of the 98Rock Morning Show served as the Mistress of Ceremonies for the event. Dr. Michelle A. Gourdine, CEO and Principal Consultant of Michelle Gourdine & Associates LLC and Author of Reclaiming Our Health: A Guide to African American Wellness, delivered the keynote address. Music was provided by the Baltimore School for the Arts Jazz Combo.
In addition to the luncheon, winners were given a citation from the Mayor and ceramic centerpieces crafted by students at the Careers in the Arts Program at ACCE (Academy for Career and College Exploration. The complete list of women honored as Baltimore’s Top Neighborhood Moms, and the communities that nominated them, is below.
2012 Baltimore’s Top Neighborhood Moms
- Elizabeth Alex, Latino Community
- LaTonya Buckson, Evergreen Protective Association
- Joyce Chapman, The New Auchentoroly Terrace Association, Inc.
- Inez Commander, Pleasant View Gardens
- Dorothy “Dot” Cunningham, My Brother’s Keeper, Irvington Community
- Genny Dill, Roosevelt Park Recreation Council
- Adline P. Dorsey, Valley View Neighborhood Association
- Gussie Dunston, Gwynnbrook-Garriwood Neighborhood Association
- Frances Forte, Lauraville Improvement Association
- Karen French, Seton Hill Association
- Sharon L. Guida, Old Goucher Business Alliance
- Flor Giusti, Latino Community
- Adeline Hutchinson, Robert W. Coleman Community Organization
- Shakesha Mack, Cherry Hill Homes Tenant Council
- Edna Manns, Fayette Street Outreach Organization, Inc.
- Meritta Maxwell, Ellerslie Apartments
- Sandi McFadden, Mid-Govans Community Association
- Freida Morton, Homewood-Bartlett Community
- Sharon Reuter, Ridgely’s Delight
- Sally Robinson, Resident Advisory Board
- Edith Schenck, Druid Park Drive New Neighborhood Association
- Lillian Syndor, Park Heights
- Timethea Wardlaw, Lakeview Towers Tenant Council
- Laura Wexler, Charles Village Civic Association